The main purpose of workers' compensation insurance is to address legitimate workplace accidents and carelessness. This includes incidents that occur off the employer’s premises but in the service of the job, such as injuries sustained while traveling for work. It can cover both short-and long-term issues, like falling off a ladder or acquired carpal tunnel syndrome.
AmTrust currently underwrites over 350 class codes, which makes us an ideal fit for a vast number of small businesses. While not all inclusive, our workers’ compensation coverage is particularly well-suited for the following classes:
- Artisan contractors
- Beauty Shops
- Buildings-operations by owners or contractors
- Doctors & Dentists
- Machine Shops-Light metalworking
- Private schools
- Professional offices
- Retail stores
- Wholesale stores
We generally avoid industries that have an especially high risk of injury, such as farming, nursing homes, fast food delivery and heavy construction. Focusing on a wide variety of low-risk businesses is in the interests of our agents, our policyholders and AmTrust as a whole. For our preferred classes, we strive to provide a policy that is priced in such a way that both the policyholders and our agents are satisfied.
- At least one full-time employee (in addition to the owners).
- Fewer than 75 employees at a single location at the same time. For larger work sites, we will look at egress and number of stories.
- Generally, one year in business with workers’ compensation coverage with loss run history submitted.
- Prefer three years' prior coverage on artisan contracting risks, though will consider an artisan contractor that hasn’t had coverage before if they were a sole proprietor now adding new employees.